Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Scherenschnitte


We all cut paper snowflakes when we were children. Remember the magic of unfolding the funny triangle from which we cut seemingly random bits, and the thrill when our mom let us tape them to the window as part of our winter decorations? Well, Maria Brisotti never forgot that thrill, and she has taken the art of paper cutting, known as Schereschnitte, to the next level.

Here's what she has to say:

Scherenschnitte (pronounced shear'en-schnit-tah) means scissor cutting in German.

This art tradition was founded in Switzerland and Germany in the 16th century and brought to colonial America in the 18th century by immigrants who settled mostly in Pennsylvania. It continues to be a popular craft that has appeared through the ages in ethnic paper producing cultures.

My fascination with scissor cutting began in 1992 when my best friend and fellow crafter Christine, who had discovered this new craft for us to try, introduced me to it. I began tracing and cutting designs and have continued to do so these many years. I have always given my cuts as gifts and my first experience with selling was last year at the Country Parlor Holiday Home Show. As an elementary school teacher, I used the art of scissor cutting with my students and then with German students in our local high school.

The cutting is done using both scissors and x-acto knives using a variety of techniques: cutting mirror images on folded paper, unfolded designs cut in reverse, or a combination of both techniques.

In spite of the many tedious hours I spend cutting the variety f patterns, Scherenschnitte is may favorite handicraft.


Come see Maria's lovely creations in person next weekend. Barbara and her crew will have the beautiful Naugles barn dressed for the season and loaded with treasures for you to take home.

Friday, November 26, 2010, 9 AM to 3 PM
Saturday, November 27, 2010, 9 AM to 3 PM.

We're looking forward to seeing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment